Sunday, November 16, 2014

Friday: Day 7 (10/24/14) Boogie Day

Last day. Dang it. Vacations always go too fast. Waiting for it to come feels like forever, but once we go it's over before we know it.  But I guess that's how it goes right? Time flies when you're having fun. 

Again we wanted to play on the beach. The first part of the morning we were lazy and soaking up every last drop of vitamin D we could get, before we went back to Utah's approaching winter season.  At one point Cy wanted to lay down next to me on his own towel. I thought it was cute. 

Then, Jesse had a brilliant idea. He noticed a shop right outside of our condo that rented out surf boards and boogie boards. So we decided to rent two boogie boards. They cost $20 each. Not too bad.

I have to admit I had never been boogie boarding before. I was a little hesitant because I didn't really want to get in the cold Pacific ocean. But I was brave and went out there with Jesse. We paddled out to where the bigger waves were(that was a workout). Anyway, I think either the second or third wave that came up I was able to catch it perfectly and ride it all the way back to shore. Haha. It was so much fun..And I had forgotten that the water was cold. I think Jesse thought I was lost in a wave because he didn't catch the wave and was still out there. It wasn't until I started to head back towards him that he realized I was ok. We played out there for a good hour or so. I can't remember. We just went until we were pooped and cold. And then we went back to shore and had plans to go back out after lunch.
After our little break we wanted to go play  This time we tried to get the boys to come with us. They were a little hesitant, but we got them to try it for a little bit. Then we just let them go play on the beach, because they weren't loving it. So it was just Jesse and I. This time he brought his GoPro camera with him so we could get some pictures of us out there. He had a head strap that he was able to mount the camera to. Hands free.

The tide was lower this time so we could walk out to where the bigger waves were.  Making it much easier. The waves didn't seem strong enough to take us all the way to shore, but strong enough to give us a little ride. All of a sudden I noticed a really big one forming and Jesse was right in front of it, but I was closer to shore. I yelled to him that a big one was coming and he should catch it.  But he didn't make it and I saw him get turned upside down. I giggled a little because it surprised me how much the wave tackled him. Once he came up and wad able to get his get under him, I notice him touching his head. And right then it hit me that the GoPro was gone. Ahhh. No. We tried to look for it, but it's beyond impossible. It could have gone anywhere.

After that Jesse was feeling really gloomy. I felt so bad for him because he just got that as a birthday gift last year.

Despite the devastating mistake, we still wanted to make the most of the remaining hours of day light. The boys braved the boogie boards again. This time by themselves. I was getting a kick out of watching them trying to catch the waves. It was perfect for them to be trying while the tide was really low.


Ryker was really impressing me with his bravery. He ventured out a lot further than I thought he'd be willing to go. 

As the sun was setting on our last day, I couldn't help but feel sad and happy at the same time. Sad to see our family trip come to an end.  Happy, as I reflected back on the fun week we have together, and the memories we made.
After dinner and getting the boys in bed, we packed up as much of our stuff as possible. The plan was to leave right after breakfast the next morning.

Which we did.  Around 8:00 am we were homeward bound. We actually made really good time. The boys were great during the drive. Which makes for a much smoother ride for everyone.

And that was it. Our family trip all summed up. And it only took me a few weeks to get it done. :-)

No comments: