Monday, September 8, 2014

Where did August go?

My goodness... I have no idea where the month has gone. August was so full of summer activities that I just never found the time to record everything. And come Sundays when I did have time, I was exhausted and probably fell asleep on the couch during post church "quiet time".

The month of August has brought us so many good things I don't even know where to begin. As I was looking back through all the pictures on my phone, I couldn't help but feel happy about how we ended our summer. I think I just start at the beginning when we went on a little hike as a family.

The Monday morning after SpudMan, the boys and I met up with Jesse in Ogden. He wanted to take us on a hike up Waterfall Canyon near his work. So as soon as he got off that morning he was able to take us on the hike. Thankfully Chantel was able to come over in the morning to be at the house with the boys, while I went to the gym and to the grocery store before leaving for Ogden  (I still needed to get my Monday duties in before I went and played).

The hike was a about a mile and a half up. So not too bad. The boys did great. I was really impressed with how well they were climbing up the mountain. I love that the boys are getting big enough to go and do activities like these. Of course Cy loved climbing over the big rocks. The larger the better. One particular rock he climbed to the top and when reaching the top we hear him say "Look Guys, Come 'ear guys, It's Danj-wiss". Well that should be Cy's life long motto. If it's dangerous then he wants to do it. His bravery can serve him well, but there have been numerous occasions that it has frightened me.

Upon arriving at the end of the trail, we reached the waterfall. Jesse said that the waterfall wasn't running as full as it was in the Spring. Him and a few other firemen had hiked it back then and he liked the hike so much he wanted to take his family to the waterfall. The boys of course loved it when we made it to the waterfall, not only because of the tall waterfall, but because of the large rocks they could climb on.

Our Garden has been in full bloom. Everything was producing and we were loving it. Especially the peach tree. Once those ripened we were feeling a little selfish. We of course shared them, but for some reason we were feeling greedy and wanted to keep them all to ourselves. None could be wasted and they all must be eaten. And don't you worry. They did. Peaches and Cream are one of our favorites. That just screams summer!
 
 An exciting day was the day we picked our one and only watermelon. It was the only one that survived the Rats from eating the baby watermelons. Yes you read that right. Rats. Ewww. Jesse suspected we had some type of rodent eating them. And he was right. He caught/killed two of them. And we didn't seem to have any other problems after that. But by that point we only had one watermelon that didn't get eaten. That is, until us humans picked it.
A favorite thing we like to do in the summer evenings is to hang out in the backyard swings. The boys really have enjoyed having these hammock swings in the yard. I love going out there as the day is starting to cool down and we can all be together. It's especially sweet when Jesse is home as well.
 
As the summer was coming to a close. We had school to look forward too. Back in January I had put Ryker in the Wasatch Peak Acadamy Lottery in hopes he would make it in for 1st grade. But I lost hope when I had found out they had pulled from the lottery at the first of summer with to success of Ryker making it in. Well with a week and a half to go before school started, I got a phone call at the salon from WPA. They said a 1st grade slot had opened up and Ryker's name was drawn from the lottery for that spot. I was so excited!
 
This school is a Charter School and uniforms, but that's not what drew me to this particular school. Their curriculum is awesome! It's called Leveling! Each child is tested and they get to learn at the level that they test at. Therefore, if they are ahead they can continue to excel. And if they are behind then they won't feel like they are holding the other students in the class behind as well.
 
They also have an hour of Spanish everyday. :-) And they have 3 periods. One for their home room learning, literacy and Math class. I know I'm not explaining it all very well, I just loved how everything is set up. Oh and they have a great website to help keep parents informed. It's fantastic.
 
After I calmed down from my excited-self I started to feel a little concerned that Ryker would be sad to leave his old school where he had made friends. So I was a little nervous to tell him about it. But when I told him he was thrilled.

No comments: