Monday, September 8, 2014

Boating before School Starts

Ya know? I used to go boating with my family EVERY single week. But it's been about 3 years since I have been able to go with them. My Dad's days off used to be Tuesdays, which I too have off (hence why it was so easy for me to go with them every week). Then he got a new job and it was then Wednesdays, which I don't have off. So it became very difficult for me to go when they went.
 
Well now that Jesse has full days off I decided it would be fun if we could go with my parents on a Wednesday that Jesse had off. So I had to schedule out a month in advance to be make myself take off that Wednesday before school started. That way my entire family (J.A.R.C.) could all be there together. There were a few Wednesdays this summer that Jesse went with my parents, but I stayed behind and worked. So I was really looking forward to going!
 
When my turn came up, the water was perfect and I was excited! My board and I were reunited after 3 long years apart. ;-) It felt so good being out there. I think I had some of the best jumps I've ever done. It was pretty awesome! 
The last time I was with this guy on the lake, he wasn't even 1 yet. Now that's crazy! 
After I had my run, it was Jesse's turn. He is so freaking good at both wakeboarding and the slalom ski. He's the one that taught me how to get more comfortable jumping off the wake. So one of these days I'll have to have him teach me how to slalom like he does. He can cut so well on that right side. It's just beautiful! 
 
On those Wednesdays that Jesse went boating without me, he had tried to get Ryker to ski. But sweet Ryker is so timid when it comes to new things that his fear takes over and he just cries. We know this happens and we know that the only way to get him over those small fears is to push him. Not in a rude way. In a loving way. We saw this several times during swimming lessons. Whenever the teacher asked Ryker to do something new (Such as: holding his breath under water, swimming the length of the pool, jumping off the diving board, or diving off the diving board) he would break down and cry. But the teacher just reassured him that he was safe and everything would be ok.
 
So same thing with water skiing, when we told him we wanted him to try it, he cried. Jesse got him to try a few times when he was with him but he was so upset that things weren't working out for the good.
 
A week before we were going boating, I told Ryker that Jesse and I would be going boating with Grandma and Grandpa, and we want him to try and ski again. Of course he burst into tears. I gave him a moment to cry it out and said that he had to get all his tears out then because on the day of he needed to be brave.
 
So for a whole week, I heard him bring it up to me daily. Worrying that he wouldn't get up. But I just reassured him that everything would work out and that he needed to trust his Mom and Dad!

 
Well, his moment came that Wednesday and he put on his brave face. I could tell that he was nervous but he still got in the water with Jesse. Jesse had made a deal with him that he had to give it 6 solid good tries before he would let him back in the boat. He explained to him that every time he tried he would be learning something. Even if he didn't get up.
 
On his 6th try he got up and went for about 2 seconds across the water. We were all cheering for him from the boat because of how thrilled we were for him. And he was excited as well. But because it was his 6th time trying he was ready to be done. Haha. We all tried to talk him into trying one more time because he would be even better. But he was done. And that's ok.
 
He came in the boat and I couldn't help but feel so proud of bravery! He's such a stud! Also as a parent it was a really good feeling to know that pushing him out of his comfort zone paid off. Jesse and I both knew that once he got up he wouldn't be able to stop talking about it. And it's true! Every person that he comes across (teachers, friends, family, neighbors and ward members) he would tell them that he skied. 
 
After all that, we were starving. So we anchored the boat and ate some yummy lunch that mom had packed us all. Then it was just time to chill! We relaxed on the beach/boat for awhile and then we went and played on the beach. It was fun having two of my sisters there. I had found out the night before that Manda was going to be joining us, so that's was a nice surprise. They are pretty awesome girls! Love them SO much!
 
August has been a very rainy month. Which is really strange for this time of year. So I know that I was very happy to see that the sun came out  for us to play at the lake. I would have been totally bummed if we got rained out. Thank our lucky stars it was a Great Day! And what a way to end the summer. And when I say summer, I am talking about the school summer. I am hanging on to every last warm day! Summer isn't over yet. It just can't end.

No comments: