Monday, September 29, 2014

The Boys...

 I just wanted to give a little update about the boys and their first month in school.   So far we are all adjusting quite well to the new school schedule. I bought Ryker his own personal alarm clock to help him get up early. With the charter school starting at 8:00am and living about 11 minutes away from the school, we have to leave our house at 7:40am. That's pretty darn early for a 6 1/2 year old. But he's been doing really well with the early schedule.

Ryker has been assigned to read 20 minutes a day. And so we have been doing that. His reading has greatly improved. I didn't realize HOW well he was doing until we received an email this week from his Literacy teacher. She told us that she had been monitoring Ryker and noticed he would do really well moving him up a level. Apparently he's reading at a 2nd grade level! Pretty cool.

This made me even more proud of him. I know he's a smart kid, and I'm not just saying that because he's my kid. He really is very bright. That's why I think this school is going to be perfect for him. With their leveling curriculum he is able to excel.
In recent months Cy had really been enjoying bedtime stories. Which I love because he hasn't seemed too interested when he was younger. Well with all of Ryker's reading lately, Cy likes to listen to Ryker. So then the other night Ryker read bedtime stories to Cy. Oh it was such a neat moment.


Now, about Cy in preschool. So, his preschool teacher is the same teacher that taught him during swimming lessons.  So she knows that Cy struggles listening to instruction. During the swimming lessons he would dunk his whole body under the water and then he couldn't hear what she wanted the class to do.

So when school started, she said she was ready for him to be the same way. But last week she told Jesse and me, on separate occasions that she was really impressed with how well he was doing in class. He's staying on task, listening to instruction, and paying attention to his teacher and  classmates when talking in front of the class. Yay!!! This made me do happy to hear because I was worried he would be the disruptive kid class.

When we aren't in school or doing homework, the boys take advantage of the warm weather that seems to be fading away faster than we'd like. They love to go on "grasshopper hunts" lately. I'm impressed how easy they can catch them. Being a girl this is something I'll never be able to relate to. But they sure think it's pretty cool. And that's fine by me. I'll let them be boys.
I find so much joy in these two handsome boys. They truly make me happy. Whenever I'm having a bad day, they somehow know how to brighten it up for me.

No comments: