Monday, January 20, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over...

I have been meaning to post a picture of Jesse's Paramedic Certificate that came in the mail a few days ago, but haven't had the chance. Well tonight I had one of the sweetest and emotional moments with Ryker that fits perfectly with the picture. I have to share it.

After putting Cy to bed, I came back upstairs to have Ryker read to me. He got these kids novel books for Christmas and he has been reading a page a night. What a great little reader he has become. It's so much fun to sit and listen to him sound out some of these tougher words, and get them.

Anyway, Ryker has our 2013 Christmas Card serving as his bookmark.  And as he was patiently waiting for me, I see that he's looking at the card. Not thinking anything of it until he says to me "Mom, I'm just so happy for my Dad."

At this moment I realize the tears welling up in his eyes. So I ask him "What makes you say that?"

He says, in a shaky voice "I'm just so happy and proud of him for finishing his test." And looks again at the card. I can tell he's fighting back the urge to just break down and cry.

But then I start to get emotional over the fact that my, almost six year old boy can feel that "happy cry" feeling, recognize the hard work his Dad has put in over the past year and know that it's a big deal that his Dad passed his final test.... That kid is amazing. The tears are welling up in my own eyes as I write about the sensitive boy I have. He is something else. The Lord has blessed me with a special boy!

As soon as we finished reading I called Jesse at work to tell him about it. We both agreed that it's so sweet and weird at the same time. So weirdly sweet that we (as parents) are having a moment like this with our own boy, who doesn't seem old enough to us, to express that kind of love and emotion about someone. He has always been sensitive to others feelings, but to see it at this level of "maturity" is AMAZING!

My goodness, I love this kid. He certainly is destined for Greatness!

It also goes to show that this past year didn't only affect Jesse, it affected all of us in one way or another. We can all feel that relief of it being over. And a sense of pride towards Jesse! We all can't help but boast that he is a Firefighter Paramedic.

No comments: