Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This day just keeps getting better...

I have been dreading the task of Potty Training Cyrus. He can certainly be stubborn at times and do the complete opposite of what you want him to do. So I thought I would struggle with it. I was kinda putting it off, saying that I was watching for signs of when he was ready (mostly true). Well, I decided today I would go for it. After picking Ryker up from school I had no where to go, so we could focus on the chore at hand with a positive attitude.
 
First, I pulled out Ryker's old underwear and I put a pair on Guy (Cy's bunny) and a pair on Cy. Cy thought that was so funny that Guy had a pair on too.
 
Second, we set up a small toilet for Guy and a small seat on the big toilet for Cy. So Cy and Guy could go together. We read a book and while Cy wasn't watching I poured some water in the Guy toilet to "simulate" him peeing. Once I showed Cy that Guy went potty, then Guy got a treat.
 
So we sat and sat...Nothing. By this time it was nap time. I knew once I put a diaper on him for bed he'd wake up wet. But I wasn't going to stress it. If things work out today it'll be great. 
 He took a nap for a few hours and when he woke up he came running upstairs with a soaked diaper and really concerned that he went pee in his diaper. So he asked me to take it off so he could go in the toilet.

Still nothing.

So back went the underwear and out came the Sippy-cup with Gatorade. I needed to get his bladder full again.

Over the course of an hour I would ask him if he wanted to try to go potty. Each time he obliged and he tried. But still nothing.

Finally at one point I catch him removing his underwear and running to the bathroom and climb up on the toilet. I asked him if he was going to go potty? and he said "Uh-Huh". Before I we know it, he went! AHHHH!

Of course you have to make a big deal about it. Give him a treat and call everybody in the family to tell them his good news.
The remainder of the night he did that 2 more times. Went to the bathroom without me asking him if he needed to go. Then he was so excited to get a treat after each time.

So I think he's got it down. But I'm still shocked how quickly he caught on. All this time I have been dreading it and it turned out to be so simple. Lets hope it carries on into tomorrow.

What a great day for our family! Two HUGE mile stones have been conquered. I'm very pleased.

No comments: