Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Adjusting


It certainly has been a long week. Mainly for Jesse. I know for a fact he's glad to have it over. Well, almost over. He had training Monday through Friday from 8 to 5ish. And he did a 24hour shift/ride along on Saturday. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights he'd drive from Ogden to Murray to catch the last part of class. The last of his training was yesterday and today. Today when he finishes he'll go straight to a shift. So he'll be done at 8am tomorrow. Then he'll probably come home and want to sleep.
 
The shift he did on Saturday wore him out. They had calls ALL NIGHT long. So he didn't get much sleep. When he got home Sunday morning, I could tell that he was just exhausted. So he went to bed until Sacrament meeting.
 
So let me try and explain what his schedule is going to be. We found out that he'll be on the A shift. Can't tell you how nice it is to finally know that. It's great to be able to plan ahead and figure things out. And they gave us a calendar through the rest of the year. I've already got the week Jesse and I are going on a vacation after Paramedic School is over. Just have to figure out our destination.
 
How it works is he'll work four 24 hour shifts EVERY OTHER DAY. They call this a "Go Around" (I'm learning the firefighter lingo). Then he'll have 4 days off, then another "Go Around", then 6 days off. And Repeat! It makes for a random schedule, but it'll be really nice to have him around on his 4 and 6 day breaks. He'll get to help out more with the boys, go do things together during the day (if I'm not working) and occasionally we could go to the gym together (kinda of silly that I'm looking forward to that, but I am).
So today Jesse is starting a "Go Around". He'll work today, Thursday, Saturday and Monday. Then he gets 6 days off. I know we are looking forward to that. He still has class to go to. But hopefully that'll be a good week for him to get caught up on sleep, studying and family time.

2013 has brought us alot of things to adjust to, but I wouldn't change it. Change is good, but it isn't always easy. The changes have made us rely more on each other and, more importantly, the Lord. I'm grateful to the challenges and trials that the Lord gives us.  I recently learned this past week from our Stake President that there are 3 types of trials. One; The self inflicted type. Two; The type that comes from day to day living. Three; The type that the Lord gives you.

The trials that the Lord gives us are things that we won't want and wouldn't ask for. So that's why He MUST give them to us. Because they are the trials that strengthen us the most.

I'm not saying that we are going through a huge trial, but adjusting to this new life style isn't easy. Jesse and I have grown closer from it and we feel like we are relying on the Lord more. It's been a blessing.

No comments: