Thursday, June 21, 2012

Smith/Duke Trip (part 2)

Monday Jesse wanted to take Jon on a bike ride and the girls (and Ryker) were suppose to drive to pick them up from their destination a few hours later. So while we were waiting for the time to leave we all hung around camp reading and napping. Ryker was so good to just hang out with us boring girls.



Jesse gave me instructions to drive to the end of the dirt road from our campsite and turn right. Then to follow that road until the end and turn right. Well I thought that he would be meeting us around that area.

So we head out a couple hours after Jon and Jesse left and about 45 minutes later we get to the "Destination" to where we "Thought" Jon and Jesse might be. We stayed in the gas station parking lot for awhile hoping they'd submerge from some unknown place. And while we are waiting and worry about them I was wishing that I would have asked more specifically where they'd be ending their bike ride.

Jesse had said turned right at the end of the road so we decided to drive a little further down that road. But the further we went the more wrong it felt, so we'd turn around and go back to the gas station and wait. I was afraid to drive around too much just in case I'd miss them.

In the parking lot of the gas station I noticed a Visitor Information Store. I decided to go in and ask if they might know possibly where this bike trail came out of. I explained to the guy where we were camping and that J&J had went on a bike ride really close to camp. The guy didn't seem to know much about our camping area. But he said that they "Might" come out by the Capital Reef Visitor Center which was 10 minutes down the road.

We headed in that direction. (Which was the road that Jesse said to turn right on)... but again the further we went it just didn't seem right. I turned around again (Mind you I'm pulling the trailer to put the bikes in so turning around was tricky because I had to find the perfect place that didn't require any backing up).

So back at the gas station again. By this point we had been searching for over and hour. I'm starting to feel sick with worry. It was hot out. What if something happened? J&J didn't take their phones with them because there is no cell service. Ahh, if only there were cell service I could find them.

Well after over thinking things again I decided it would be best to at least drive to the Capital Reed Visitor Center, just in case. So we head back AGAIN down that road. 10-15 minutes later we turn right into the Visitor Center.

I went inside to ask for help. Again I explained where we were camping and where the boys left for their bike ride. The lady gave me a map and showed me that if it's the one she was thinking of that I needed to drive down the Scenic Byway which the Visitor Center was on. 10 miles at the bottom I would reach the end of the trail and that's where they would be.

It all made sense, but I was second guessing it. I thought for sure Jesse would have told me about this part. But I had come this far I'd hate to not even try. So we head down this Scenic Byway. About a half a mile in I come to a fee station. AHHH! Again something else that Jesse hadn't told me about. This can't be it. I start to turn around (again another struggle with no experience backing up a trailer).

But again I think "I've come this far why not just drive down a little bit.. forget the fee." So we head again back down the byway road.

Within a half a mile Angels began to sing because I saw Jesse and Jon coming up the road! I honked the horn with excitement! I had found them! The poor things were exhausted and dehydrated. They had to ride up the paved road for 9 miles before I met up with them. Oh I felt terrible.

I told Jesse he gave terrible half leading directions. We had driven around for 2 1/2 hours trying to find them so I was really happy to finally find them, but mad at the whole situation. He had forgotten that I'd have to turn onto that Scenic Byway and still drive 10 miles. Oh Thank Heavens we found them!

We headed back to that same gas station to fill up and buy some ice. Then we went to a neighboring city called Torrey for some ice cream. It was this cute little burger joint that had picnic tables outside with nice cool grass and a little playground for the kids.

Afterwards we headed back to camp and I cooked up some Spaghetti. (Do you like the stove that Jesse got for Father's Day? It came in handy for our little trip)


Jesse taking it easy and rehydrating himself while I cooked dinner.



After dinner we decided to go on a little hike close to camp. Sort of explore what the area had to offer. The pictures can do most of the talking. It was a perfect leisure hike and the area was beautiful.

 Testing out the self-timer on my camera.

 The whole gang!



We made it back to camp just in time as the sun went down and get our tired selves in bed.

No comments: