Thursday, June 21, 2012

Our little trip with the Dukes (part 1)

Back in January my sister, Manda and I were talking that we wanted to plan a trip together. Our first thought was to use Mike and Heidi's time share and buy a burn week in Cancun. We picked the week that Jon and Manda had a break from school. June 16-23. But as time got closer Jesse found out that he had the BPAD test with Salt Lake City Fire Department on the 22nd. So We decided to do a smaller trip  from the 16th-21st where we'd meet Jon and Amanda half way.

We came to the conclusion that San Fransisco would be great because Jesse's Uncle Christian offered his condo for us to stay in while he was out of town that same week.

Well a few weeks before the trip Manda called me to tell me she looked at her school schedule and she didn't have her next break until the first of August. Being due with baby Duke on August 27th she didn't think she could come visit in Utah that close to her due date. So she decided that instead of going to San Fran she wanted to come to Utah.

My mom and I decided while she was in town it would be a great opportunity to throw her a baby shower. So I made the invitations and mom mailed them out the next day.

Manda and Jon arrived late Thursday (14th) night. And the shower was scheduled for Saturday the 16th.

So back to our little trip... Since Jesse and I had taken Saturday to Thursday off we still wanted to go somewhere. But not not exactly sure where. I first thought was to go camping in Moab... but after thinking and discussing it with Manda and Jon we figured it would be to hot for their dogs and for pregnant Manda.

Jesse suggested Capital Reef/Escalante area. He'd gone there last summer with the scouts and really liked it. Better yet it's 20 degrees cooler than Moab because it's at a higher elevation. So after all that we finalized on Capital Reef! Quite the ordeal to figure out where to go. haha

After the shower was over Manda, Jon, Chantel, Jesse, Ryker and myself got everything packed up and headed on our way. We stopped by the Smith's to drop off Cy. Heidi was so gracious to watch him for us. He is still to little to go camping and too much to handle at his age. One more year and he'll love it.

Within an hour of our drive Ryker zonked out in the back seat.

About a 3 hour drive and we made it to a campsite. Claimed it. And set up Camp. We camped in Lower Bowns which was by a lake so it was nice and cool. When we arrived we were worried it might be too cold, but later in the trip we grew to appreciate it.

The following morning (Sunday) we ate breakfast, packed lunches and headed off to Escalante to hike Calf Creek Falls.
 All ready to go hiking! I love these two. Where would I be without them?
 It was much, much much warmer here than back at camp, so we took several breaks in the shade. Ryker and Gus (one of Manda and Jon's dogs) were thoroughly enjoying the coolness of the shade.
 Considering the heat it was still a beautiful hike. But it seemed to take forever to get to the falls. We were all really hot and we stopped alot for Ryker, the dogs and Manda. It seemed to be the longest 3 miles ever. The heat from the sand was scorching hot that poor Tok (the other dog) couldn't walk on it. He started to shake after awhile. Manda and Jon got creative and cut the back out of Jon's shirt and tied little booties on Tok's feet to protect them from the burning sand. They didn't stay on all the great, which resulted in stopping more.
 As we got closer and we could hear the waterfall we got a burst of energy. And once we made it we were THRILLED! There was a ton of shade and the cool mist from the water felt great. Totally rejuvenating!
 It's pictures like these that made us miss little Cy!

Even though it was really refreshing to be by the water, it was Take-your-breath-away COLD!!! Jesse asked me if I was going to get in and swim to the falls. And I said Yes. But he didn't believe me. So of course I had to prove him wrong.
 I decided the best way would be to run in all at once to get the initial cold shock over with. So Chantel and I went for it...
 Chan gave up half way, but not me.. I had Jesse watching and I HAD to show him I could do it.
 ...and I did. Once I got to this point I could hardly breath because of how cold the water was.
We hung out at the falls for a few hours taking it easy. It was actually really relaxing. Especially after a long and hot hike. I think we took extra time at the falls because I think we were all dreading the hike back. We knew what was ahead of us.

Surprisingly the hike back seemed like a breeze compared to the hike in. I think there was more shade so the heat wasn't as bad. Jon and Chantel had given up their socks to Tok and tied shoe string around each foot to ensure a better booties for his feet. Those stayed on much better so that made it so we could go longer stretches before we had to take a break.  But poor Ryker, he was so exhausted that Jesse carried him on his shoulders pretty much the whole way back. What a great Dad! Kind of ironic because it was Father's Day!

That night we cooled down at our campsite, cooked up so awesome Jalapeno Burgers, roasted marshmallows and went to bed. Mmmm.. What a great day!

No comments: