Saturday, March 28, 2015

Maui Day 5 (Beach Day)

Jesse really wanted to Boogie Board while we were here. So a few days ago we had stopped by Costco and bought us a boogie board for $25. Yes, we bought one. Renting one was about $15/hour, so we decided it would still be cheaper to just buy one and have it the whole time we were here. And then before we leave maybe we could sell it for cheap, or just give it to someone. Pay it forward kind of thing.
 
So after breakfast and packing our lunch we headed down to Lahaina area to check out which beaches had the best waves also with some sand. We stopped at Launiupoko Beach  just south of Lahaina and thought it would be great. Got everything unloaded and all settled on the beach. The waves looked kinda sad, but Jesse thought he'd go try it out anyway. And to his disappointment they were just too slow and low to carry him.
 
He came back to the beach where I was reading and was saying that he kinda wanted to find another beach. I kinda laughed at him because we had just hauled all our stuff and get settled in. But we googled where some good boogie boarding beaches were and most of them were on South Maui. Which was about 30-40 minutes away from where we were. So we got all our stuff back in the car and headed down that way.
 
From our Maui Guidebook and from what Google was saying that the best beach would be Kama'ole Beach III was the best option. So that's where we stopped. It was bigger and the waves did seem a lot bigger and the beach seemed a lot better.

And you can tell it's quite popular as well. As I watched Jesse boogie board it was making my laugh to watch everyone catching the same wave as him and this line of people all riding that same wave.
The boogie boarding waves were off to the left of where we set up "camp". But to the right of us were these rocks and it seemed calmer and promising for snorkeling.
I was worried about boogie boarding because I didn't know how easy it would be not to put pressure on my belly. So I opted out.... at first. After watching Jesse and all the other people having so much fun I really wanted to try it. Plus I was getting to hot from sitting in the sun. So I went for it. I just put the base of the board below my baby bump and instead of laying flat on my tummy I would keep my elbows bent so hold myself up and keep the pressure off baby. And it worked.
After boogie boarding for a little bit then we read our books. When Jesse got to a stopping point in his book he went and got the snorkel gear out of the car so we could go check out that area. It had quite a bit of current going south, but we worked our way through it.

There was actually a really awesome reef through that area. Lots of fish. We even saw a puffer fish. Jesse tried scarring it so it would blow up... but no success. But the cool part about that area is we saw about 4 different turtles. One of them in particular was really big and just took his time sailing through the water so we were able to hang out with him a bit.
 These pictures don't do him justice. He was honestly Huge. We didn't dare to get close to them because we learned that you aren't suppose to touch them (oops) and your suppose to keep a 10 foot distance from them. There were times when some would just swim right by us so we couldn't help that 10 foot rule.

There honestly was one in particular that came in from my left and startled me because of how close it came to me. Snorkel masks give you very good blind spots and he was right in it until I saw him at the last minute. Pretty cool though. Every time we have gone snorkeling we have seen turtles. Makes me happy. On that note as well, every single day we have been here so far, we have seen whales blowing their spouts, jumping, splashing etc. Pretty awesome. It's like the norm around here and we have to remind ourselves how spectacular it really is to see whales and turtles everyday. It's amazing.

 
We finished snorkeling and then we decided to get out of the sun and clean ourselves off. Above the beach was a big grassy area with picnic tables, swing sets, showers, and bathrooms. We weren't quite ready to go eat dinner, so we cleaned up and just parked ourselves on a picnic bench to read and/or check out the restaurants that were around us.
 
As we were sitting there I was admiring the palm trees with the sun starting to set in the background. I snapped this photo and didn't even edit it. It's just simply beautiful.  
 
We found a Mexican restaurant just down the street, so we went for that. You can never go wrong with Mexican food. I love a lot of the restaurants around here are all right on the beach, so we get that sunset feel during dinner. It's nice.
When we finished our meal, we walked across the street to watch the sun go down.....

...and get a picture of us as we were wrapping up our day. 

We headed back to our condo and on the way got some gas and some groceries in prep for tomorrow's Road to Hana trip.

No comments: