Friday, March 27, 2015

Maui Day 4

We woke up yesterday morning to a rainy day. Right outside our condo we could see a large rainbow right over the ocean. Even though it was a cloudy and rainy morning it's still beautiful here. 
With it being a rainy day we weren't sure what we should do today. We hung out until 9:00ish when we decided to go check out the Maui Ocean Center. It's an Aquarium that is in Ma'alea. I had a client tell me that this Aquarium was the best one she had ever been to. So we thought we'd go check it out. That way we had something to do besides hang out in our condo all day.
 The aquarium was a little disappointing. I think we felt that way only because we had to pay $26/person to get in. For what was there, it didn't seem worth $26. But maybe because we didn't any kiddo with us. There were some things that we saw that we kept saying "Oh Ryker would love that."

I guess a lot of the fish, turtles and coral that are on display eventually get put back in the ocean. So I liked that part about it.
 After we left the aquarium we wanted to go check out the Nakalele Blow Hole. On the way there I got a little sleepy and fell asleep. I woke up to the rain on the car coming down really hard. Ahh poop. I wasn't feeling in the mood to hike in the wind and rain.

We ate our packed lunch in the car and then we headed down the hill to see the blow hole. We walked down to this over look of it and it was super windy and rainy. I came unprepared with no jacket, so I was not feeling like I wanted to be out there much longer. As Jesse headed further down the hill to get a closer look I went back to the car. I know, wimpy.

I sat in the car finishing the rest of my lunch and reading through our Maui Guidebook thinking he would be back any minute. As I sat there waiting for him the rain stopped and the clouds seemed to dissipate a little bit. The longer I sat there I was coming to the reality of my wimpy-ness. So I figured I better get my butt out there and be with Jesse. No fun for him to be checking it out on his own while I sat in this car.

I grabbed one of our beach towels and wrapped that around myself as I walked down the hill. That did the trick. It helped me not feel so freezing.

About half way down I saw Jesse coming back up the hill. He met me and took me back down the hill with him to show me the blow hole. I was feeling grateful that I had him there to push me out of my comfort zone and see it up close. I really didn't think it would be that much cooler up close, but it was. Plus the scenery was way better as well.  

As we got closer to the blow hole I didn't dare take my camera out of it's case because it was really misty. So thankfully Jesse had his GoPro Camera and we took some video/pictures from that. It was hard to get a good picture of the blow hole shooting up when we had our backs to it. But you get the idea.


Another cool feature that was down there was this heart shaped hole. I'm curious if it was made by nature, or if it was carved by man. Maybe both? Either way, I really like it.

Again, I feel blessed to have Jesse as a husband. If it wasn't for him I would have just chilled in the car the entire time. And the thing is he didn't even get mad or anything when I told him I was going to go back to the car. But know him he would have loved to have me down there. So without even knowing it he helped me grow today. And that's one of the great things about having him as my companion. He'll always help me become a better person. I'm grateful for his adventure like attitude in life. It's taught me a lot. Here's to 10 years of marriage (almost....a few more weeks and it'll be officially 10 years)!!!!!!

 After the blow hole we wanted to go find some tide pools that were close, but we somehow missed the start of the trail, so we just kept driving. It was fun to see the scenery anyway. The further we drove we thought it would be fun to just make our way the entire small part of the island. So we just kept going. The road eventually turned into a one lane road. It was pretty tight in most spots, but there were still areas that you could pull off to the side to let on-coming cars pass by.

Everything was so lush and green. I loved that about the drive.
What I love about him driving is I always feel safe. Not only does he make me feel that way when he's driving, he makes me feel that way in life. He's got that calm demeanor that is very reassuring.
 I found a map online and drew on it where we were today. So we are staying in Ka'anapali (left of the green circle) and we drove down to Ma'alaea to the Maui Ocean Center (circled in red). Then we drove back towards our condo up to the Nakalele Blow Hole, then finished off the rest of the circle bank to where we started this morning. A lot of driving, but that's ok. How else are we suppose to see what's on the island? On Saturday we plan on doing the Road to Hana and around. So then we'll get to drive the entire way around the big circle of the island.

On our way back to the condo we had to stop for dinner. Jesse remembered a Kitchen and Pie shop that we had passed on the first day we came. It was in Lahaina just off the highway. I looked it up on Yelp and it had fantastic reviews, so we thought we would check it out.

Jesse has been on a burger kick this whole time we have been here, so he has ordered a burger every night (but one) since we have been here. Haha. I was feeling like a salad tonight. And when it came out I just had to take a picture of it. It was almost too pretty to eat. But that didn't stop me. And it was just as yummy as it looked.
 

I love that we didn't really have any major plans today, but we were able to make it a fun and memorable day.

No comments: