Friday, March 21, 2014

St. Maarten/Day #9 (Sat; Mar 1)

St. Maarten. I learned from my homework online before we got there that there are two sides to this island. One side is Dutch and the other side is French. Not by choice, but we happened to stay on the Dutch side the entire time we were there. The Dutch side is spelled "St. Maarten" and the French side is "St. Martin". Kinda funny.
 Originally we were going to go to Orient Beach, because a friend of mine suggested it. But at the last minute we decided to go to Dawn Beach because there was snorkeling there and the taxi ride was cheaper since it was closer to the pier than Orient Beach.
 
Our taxi driver was a very nice lady. She told us she would come back and pick us up whenever we wanted to go back. So we arranged a time for her to come back and get us.
 
We got all set up with our beach chairs and umbrella. Read our books for a little bit, then decided to walk up the beach to check things out. Today was going to be another lazy day. With it being the last day we just wanted to relax. Started off the cruise with relaxing and wanted to end it that way.
 
The beach was not crowded at all. Which I loved. I had read and seen pictures beforehand that Orient Beach was a busy one. So I was glad we decided to go with this beach instead. It was nice not having to find a spot amongst the bodies on the sand.
 
 
After some relaxing we went out snorkeling. There was quite the reef out there. It was pretty cool.

 Kind of a fun picture out in the ocean.
 I thought this was a great shot that Jesse took of me. It looks so peaceful down there. I find it so cool that it can be that way while the surface is totally wavy. So much calmer below the surface. Too bad I can't hold my breath for very long.
 You want to know my favorite part about this picture? And you might find me silly, but it's Jesse's hand around my arm. It's that soft gentle touch that makes me feel safe when I'm with him. Just that small gesture shows love and affection to me and I like it.
The remaining time left, we read and soaked up the last drop of sun we could. When our taxi driver had returned I was bummed. The day had gone by too fast. 
 We did still have an hour or so left before we had to board the ship. So we asked her to take us to the downtown shopping center. We had some last minute shopping to be done.
 It was kind of a cute little "mall", so to speak.
 When we purchased everything that we needed, it was time to walk back to the pier. With a heavy heart we headed back for the last time.
 I seriously didn't want this vacation to end. We had connected on a whole new level. And we needed that. To get away from the everyday mundane day to day chores that cause us to become robots. Help us to break free from all of that and to become just "US" for that small moment of time. Me and him. To be spontaneous, adventurous and to have fun, made for the best vacation I have  EVER been on. Hopefully Jesse feels the same.
 That night all the servers in the dining room sang us a farewell song. Boo hoo. Is it really over?
 Left to right: Doug and Maureen Hess, Renaldo, Lloyd, Darko and us.
So sad saying goodbye. It seems you just get to know them and you have to bid them farewell. Luckily Maureen gave me her email, so we have been emailing back and forth since we have been home. It will be cool if we can keep it up.

No comments: