Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Barbados/Day #6 (Wed; Feb 26)

Jesse and I aren't ones to do tours through the cruise ship. So before we left I did a lot of homework about each island we would be stopping at. And for the island of Barbados I found great reviews about a Catamaran Company that could take us snorkeling amongst shipwrecks and sea turtles.
 
When we got off the ship we found the information desk with very friendly workers. I talked to one of the guys about the company, El Tigre, that we wanted to go with. He called them for us and arranged for them to come to the pier and pick us up. 

The driver brought us to the dock where their catamaran was waiting for us. We paid and climbed aboard. There was the option of a 3 hour or 5 hour tour. With how much time we had to be on the island we chose the 5 hour one.
I had never been on a catamaran before so I was really excited for this tour. Not only to be on a catamaran, but to experience snorkeling over a shipwreck and to see turtles.
They took us to the shipwrecks first. I was only expecting to see one, but I was surprised that there was three. The first one had thousands of fish around it. Pretty cool.
 It was neat that they weren't as deep as I thought they would be. So we really could dive down and check it out. I'm not nearly as good at is as Jesse is. He can go really deep and hold his breath for a long time. I struggle with equalizing my ears. So only after a few seconds I want to come back to the surface.
Everyone got back on the catamaran and they took us over to the area that was suppose to have turtles. We only saw one and had just a short time with her before she swam away. I was like a little kid swimming after her. So badly did I want more time. I got in trouble though for doing that and had to back off. 

Jesse was able to swim closer to her and touch her shell. So COOL!!!!
By this point is was time to drop the 3 hour tour people off at the beach, while the remainder 5 hour tour group to have lunch on the catamaran. Which if you are wondering was very delicious. While we were just anchored we jumped in the ocean again and swam around. Jesse got some cool footage of a starfish bigger than his hand and an eel he found inside a rock.

Then they put the sails up and we sailed around for the next hour or so. We made friends with the people we were sitting at the front with. There was a couple with a little boy who were German. So that was fun for Jesse to talk a little German with them.
The 5 hours went by way too fast. When we made it back to the dock they had a bus ready to take us to the pier, but we decided to walk back ourselves. There was still time before we had to be back on the ship. And we wanted to do some shopping.

No comments: