Saturday, April 18, 2020

Family Bike Ride and Cleaning up the backyard

Today was the BEST day!
I feel like a kid in school during the week helping my boys full-time get their school work done. So it being Saturday, I finally felt a little more free. Originally this morning I wanted to go on a hike with my boys. While we were figuring out where to go, Jesse got a text from his mom telling him that she and Dad were riding their bikes from their house in Cottonwood Heights to our house in Bountiful to deliver us a gift. As they were discussing that it turned into "Why don't we just ride towards them and we can meet in the middle somewhere?" So that's exactly what we did. We all got our bikes figured out and started our way towards them. 

The boys are growing up so fast I didn't realize that they weren't fitting on their bikes very well. Especially Cyrus. So we thought we would see how he did on my mountain bike (which is the bike that Ryker has been riding lately). To my surprise Cy was able to ride it just fine. And loving it even though it was slightly too big for him. Jesse got out his old mountain bike for Ryker to try out. Ryker fit on it just fine but wasn't too happy about it. He liked riding my bike and was having a hard time letting go of the fact that Cy needed it more than him. I love and hate that my boys are growing up. It's great that we can all go out and ride together, but man they are no longer little babes to hold. It's weird. Where and how did we get here?

I hadn't been on my bike in over 6 months and it felt amazing. Funny how the saying "It's like riding a bike" really is true. You get back on after 6 months and it feels like it was just yesterday. I mean thankfully we were just riding at family pace and it's mostly flat. But it felt good to spin my wheels. 
We finally met up with Mom and Dad at about mile 10. They were at mile 21 from their house. We stopped at the International Peace Gardens to get some photos and to hang out a bit. 
Look at that crew! Mmmm hm they make me smile. 
The gift that Heidi wanted to give us was personalized homemade masks that she sewed for each of us.
She's honestly the sweetest and BEST!

I couldn't believe it, but Murphy ran along side of our bikes for the whole 10 miles. I was a little worried to have him go back. I knew we would be fine on the bikes for 10 miles back. But he hadn't ran that far before I did want to push him anymore. 

Mom and Dad needed to head back home anyway, so we agreed that Jesse would ride his bike back to our truck and then come back and get us. I needed to jump on a zoom baby shower for my friend, Tessa anyway, so I was able to do that while Jesse rode back to the truck. The boys played, mom and dad rode back home, Jesse rode back to the truck while I zoomed. Zoom has become quite common during quarantine. It's really the best way to connect with several people at the same time. 
Jesse got back pretty quick and on our way home we stopped for Chik fil a.

When we got home we started working in the yard. Digging to get things prepped for the backyard patio that hopefully can go in soon. I did ALOT of digging. Oddly I enjoyed it today. I liked being able to work along side with my boys (even though the whined off and on about the yard work).

 I just loved being together all day.

Days like today make the quarantine thing completely worth it. 

No comments: