Sunday, May 22, 2016

Flag Football Tournament

This past Tuesday was the start of the Flag Football Tournament. Ryker's game was the most intense game this whole season. At the half the score was 0-0. Then the other team scored a touch town without their conversion point. Then we scored with a conversion point. And another. It was 14-6. With only seconds left they scored again. 14-12. As the teams were lining up to go for the conversion point, I was an anxious mess. If they got the conversion point then they'd obviously go into OT. The game had been so close the whole time that I just wanted them to win and it be over. So when the play begins the other team throws the ball into the end zone and one of our teammates caught the ball. I jumped up screaming (yup I'm that mom) and continued to yell as Sema runs the ball all the way to the other end zone and scores right as the time runs out. YAY!!!! 16-12 was the final score.
 
Ryker was so anxious during the whole game too. I kept catching him biting his nails. So when the game ended in a huge win Ryker was so pumped up. He came running over to me and we hugged me. While we were hugging his exciting yell turned into a sob. All the emotions of nervousness and excitements mixed with the adrenaline of the game got the best of him. All he could do was just cry because he was so happy.
 
I loved it. I was feeling the same way actually. Just so excited that they won their first tournament game.
 
As he was crying from happiness I started to notice a few of the players from the other team crying from devastation. I was feeling sad for them. Matter of fact on the ride home Ryker said to me "Mom, I feel bad for the other team," What a sweet kid. In his moment of victory he was so concerned for the losing team. I love his tender heart. I also loved watching him over the season help other teammates (no matter if it was his team or not) get up after they had fallen down. It was neat to see him go after a flag and accidentally knock the kid over he'd help him up. It was cool.
 

So yesterday at 9am was the 2nd game of the tournament for Ryker's team and the first tournament game for Cy's team. They both were playing at the same time so it was tricky to watch them. And of course it happened to be down pouring.
 
As a side note because Ryker's team was the 2nd seed in his age division and Cy's team was the 1st seed, both teams got to skip the first round of the tournament and start out in the second round. 
These boys were such troopers to tough out this wet, cold and windy morning,
About halfway through Cy's game the other team forfeit. The other team had played a game before us and had won, so they played again against us. Well because it was raining so hard all of the boys were miserably wet and cold that they just wanted to be done. We were winning anyway so it worked out.  So Cy will play again on Tuesday for the championship in his division. His team in undefeated so I won't surprise me if they take the whole thing.
I was kinda happy that I didn't have to jump back and forth between the 2 games and just focus on Ryker's. When he wasn't playing we were trying to kept him warm and warm up his hands.
The game was another close one, but we won 30-28. So proud of them for playing so well in such crappy weather conditions. They had made it into the Championship Game which was later at noon.
We all made it home. While the boys were taking a hot shower to warm up I had Fynn chilling on my bed. Thought he was so cute just sitting there all smiles.

We ate an early lunch and then headed back to the field.
And the game began. The team we were playing we didn't play in the regular season. They were 1st seed and we were 2nd seed. What a matchup.

Of course I was a complete wreck worrying about every play. I wanted them to take the whole thing.
But in the end we didn't get to taste that championship win. Ya know what? Oh well. They played their hearts out and had such a fun season. These coaches were nothing but encouraging to these boys the whole time. We watched the team grow together and become more confident in themselves and in their teammates. Ryker has grown better as a player and so have the rest of the boys. They were SO MUCH FUN to watch his season. I'm kind bummed that it's all over.

No comments: