Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Fynnick's Debut Story

Thursday(9/3)
 
After talking to the hospital on the phone, I started to get ready, eat breakfast and gather the last of the toiletries that I would need. Throughout this whole time I was having contractions. Again, nothing consistent. But I liked it. I felt better about going in to be "induced" when I had already made my own progress.
 
Once Heidi arrived, Jesse and I were on our way. Still feeling very surreal that we would be having a baby by the end of the day. We were running a little bit late, so Jesse dropped me off at the front door and I went to check in while he parked the truck.
 
When I got to the Labor and Delivery Desk to check in they informed me that they were running behind and that they wanted me to come back in a half an hour. Because they got busy they can push back the girl who is being induced. But I told them that I had been having contractions. So they found a spare room for me.
 
Jesse came up to the room and we waited for someone to come and admit us. Because they were busy the Nurse Manager was the one that got us all settled. She was really nice too. 
 
They wanted to get me hooked up to an IV as soon as possible because I needed to get my antibiotics for the Group B Strep that I had this pregnancy. The Nurse Manager said that she was a little out of practice to start and IV and that he was going to go grab someone to do it. But then she asked Jesse if he wanted to do it (She had learned that he was a paramedic earlier). So he went ahead and did it. He had it all hooked up by the time the other nurse (who was going to do it) came in. I thought that was kinda cool that he got to do that for me.  
 
We got all settled and hooked up to the monitors, then Sandea came in to check how I was doing. I had made some progress. I finally was 80% thinned out and dilated to a 3. Wahoo. So this little man was coming that day no matter being induced or not.
 
They let me labor on my own for awhile before they gave me Pitocin. And that was for about 6 hours (12:30pm). At that point I was dilated to a 4. Kinda slow progress. So they started the Pitocin with a low dose and then Sandea came in to break my water. When she broke it she found that there was meconium in the fluid. She told me that might cause a problem with the baby if he doesn't cry when he first comes out. So they would have the respiratory people there on the other side of the curtain waiting just in case there was a problem.
 
My contractions were still not very consistent so they gave me some more Pitocin. After that the contractions started to get more intense and we decided to just start the epidural. By the time the Anesthesiologist came in the second dose of Pitocin combined with my water broken and having to sit up cross legged the contractions were right on top of each other and REALLY intense. I had Jesse, Sandea and the nurse Jessyka right there talking me through it.
 
I was so relieved when the epidural finally kicked in. After getting me all settled with the epidural and catheter, Sandea checked me and I was already at a 6. Wahoo. Sandea couldn't believe the progress I was making because of how inconsistent my contractions were acting. But for whatever reason I was making progress.
 
Around 2:30 Jesse called his mom (who was picking up Ryker from school) and asked if Ryker wanted to come up to the hospital for when the baby was born. Ryker was hesitant because he was invited to go with Cy and Sterling to a bounce house place for Sterling's birthday. Jesse told him to think about it and to call him back. When they talked again Ryker had decided to come up. I guess Heidi told Ryker that he'll always have the chance to go to a bounce house, but not have the chance to be there when the baby is born.
 
They got there around 3:15 and we talked for a little bit until Sandea came in to check me. They pulled the curtain aside so Ryker would be out of sight. And much to my surprise when Sandea checked me I was ready to push. Ryker got there at the perfect time. They had him stay on the other side of the curtain while I was pushing. Thankfully Heidi stayed to be with him. She told me later that he was just jumping up and down with excitement. At one point I heard him tell me "Push the baby out mama". Haha.

One of the nurses brought in a mirror for me to watch the birth. With my first two boys I didn't have a desire to watch it, but I went with it this time and really glad that I did. It was really quite cool.
 
The other cool part was after Sandea got the head out and the one shoulder she let Jesse deliver him the rest of the way and cut the chord. He was born at 3:36pm.
 
They then put him on my chest and he wasn't crying. So they had to take him away. But right as they grabbed him he started to cry. But they had to still take him just to make sure.
 
 But because Ryker was on that side and was able to see the baby.

 Once everything checked out they were able to bring him over to me to do skin-to-skin. He was acting so frustrated and nothing was soothing him. So they decided to have him latch on. He latched on instantly. For over an hour I got to have him skin-to-skin.

All the while Sandea was trying to deliver the placenta. Usually it just comes out slowly. But this one was acting very stuck. It took almost 40 minutes to deliver it. From what Jesse told me later, Sandea was really pushing on my uterus to loosen it. But it just wasn't coming. When I finally came out, it had ripped. So she had another doctor come in and feel up inside me to make sure all of the placenta was out. He said that it was. Because he had to reach up inside me to feel around, they gave me some antibiotics to make sure there wasn't an infection that could occur.

(As a little side note, again Sandea made it so I didn't tear or have to get any stitches. She is just amazing. It makes recovery so much better.)

So that whole time, Ryker was on the other side of the curtain just eager to come over and be with us. We didn't want him coming over while Sandea was delivering the placenta. He doesn't need to be traumatized by seeing that. I didn't even want to watch it.

After skin-to-skin was over and I was all cleaned up and taken care of is when they weighed and measured him. I was so eager to find out how big he was considering how over due he was. Results are as follows:

Weight: 8lbs 8oz
Height: 20.5inches

And we decided to name him Fynnick Rees Smith.
Heidi had left for a little while to go and pick up Cyrus and bring him back. Mike had arrived in the mean time and meet Fynn as well. We all got to be in the delivery room for a bit,  but after we finished up in there they wheeled me over to the maternity room with my little family following and Jesse's parents.

When we were all settled that's when we took our first family photo together. What a lucky girl I am to have been blessed with these 3 sweet boys and the best husband any woman could dream of.
My mom arrived to meet new baby Fynnick and was so sweet to bring us dinner. Oh we were so hungry so it was very much welcomed and devoured.

Mike and Heidi left and took the boys with them. Thank goodness for moms and mom-in-laws.  They were so willing to do everything that could to take care of the Ryker and Cyrus. What a blessing to have family around that will help us out when we need it.

After everyone left, Jesse and I were left to ourselves to relax(as much as you can in a maternity room). Jesse was excited that the First Utah football game was on.

During the night I had the nurses take Fynnick two times in between feedings so that we could get a little bit of rest.

When they brought him back to me after the first time he was acting very alert and aware. They said that he had spit up some amniotic fluid. This part always scares me because it's just nerve racking to see them gagging on it. He did it one or two more times when he was with us.

I snapped this picture of him after I had fed him. Jesse was asleep on the couch and I was up staring at this new babe. Already in love with him.



No comments: