Saturday, December 27, 2014

Feeling the Hustle and Bustle

December certainly flew by must faster this year than I remember it happening in past years. It was exhausting this year. I picked up days at the salon and worked longer hours on the days that Jesse was home. So by the time the Christmas break came I welcomed it with much enthusiasm.
 
One of the December Monday nights, Heidi took us to the Zoo Lights. This December has been one of the warmest ones I can remember. I barely have needed a jacket on some days. I'm not kidding there have been some days that are in the 60s. That is just unheard of. Usually by now the cold weather has set in and going to see any Christmas lights at night can be miserably cold. But it wasn't too bad at the Zoo Lights. 

While we were at the Zoo we waited in line to see Santa. They had it set up that as we were waiting that the kids could write their Christmas list down for Santa. Then they could put it in the mailbox. I helped Cy write his down and the first thing he said he wanted was a Reindeer. Haha. I think he said that because we say two "Reindeer" just outside to door hanging out in their gated area. We got to look at them as we waited in line to go inside the building. Which is where we wrote up the Christmas Lists.

I love that the Santa had a real beard. And he was so cute with the boys and very patient with the parents taking pictures of the kids.
It isn't Christmas unless their is sickness going around. It started with the boys and then eventually Jesse and I got it. (Which made working for us that much harder). But poor Cy ended up with an ear infection. I had to take him to InstaCare one morning to get him on some antibiotics. I kinda loved that he wanted to snuggle and have me hold him the whole time.
One of Ryker's top teeth became loose a few weeks ago and it looked like it was just hanging by the skin. He wouldn't even let us touch it. As a matter of fact if we even talked about pulling it out he would break down and cry uncontrollably. We couldn't figure out what his deal was. He is a sensitive boy, but this was beyond sensitivity. Something about it just freaked him out. I wanted to pull it out so bad. But that wasn't going to happen. One Sunday, Alexa, Jesse and I tried for over an hour to talk him into letting us pull on it a little bit just to see how loose it was. But he just wouldn't let us. After so many tears and everyone getting frustrated with the situation, he just went to bed.

One of the fun things about this time of year is the Preschool Christmas Program. Cy's first one. Yay!

He was so cute up there singing the songs. It made me laugh though because I could tell which parts he didn't know and the parts that he did. He'd just stand there and stare when he didn't know the words, but then when he knew them he was really into it.
Jeri Eggett is such a good Preschool Teacher. She also is the one that teaches swimming lessons in the summer. She has a lot of fun with the kids, but I love that she demands respect and the kids give it to her. They all just love her so much. For some reason Cy doesn't call her Mrs Eggett. He calls her "Sister". That's her name to him. Whenever he sees her or talks about her. It's Sister. Haha. I think it's really cute and I think Jeri really likes it too.
It's amazing all of the things that we can cram into one month. Extra parties/programs, shopping, hours at work, and planning. It's such a busy time of year. It can be fun, but overwhelming after awhile. I hope I don't sound like a Scrooge, but Christmas isn't nearly as exciting when you become an adult. I kinda miss that childhood magical feeling of Christmas. There was one day that I mentioned to Ryker that there were 9 days until Christmas. And it made me laugh because I was feeling panicked that I only had 9 days left to get everything all ready for the big day. And then he was acting like 9 days seemed like it would take forever.

I think I want to try and work less next year. It was too much for me this year that I think it gave me a grumpy attitude about Christmas. I just felt so worn out by the time the 23rd came. When I walked out the door from the salon I was so excited to leave. I think mostly because I had a head cold and that made me feel more tired than normal. But I have been looking forward to a little stay-cation. Slow things down and remember why we celebrate Christmas.

No comments: