Tuesday, December 31, 2019

OCTOBER

Oct 1-

No joke, this is what Fynn does on a daily basis. Plays in the dirt with his dump truck, excavators , etc. He is a busy bee and just loves digging and playing in the dirt 
Oct 5- After soccer and football games were done, we packed up the truck and drove to St. George for our family vacation. Jesse's Uncle Dave let us borrow his condo down there. Jesse had vacation time so we decided to go to St George! It would be pretty inexpensive and still time together as a family. Which was much needed after the last year we have had.

We arrived after dark and well after sleeping hours. The boys were zonked so we just tucked them in bed after getting the truck unloaded.

Oct 6- General Conference.

We spent the day just watching conference. Which was delightful. It forced us to slow down and soak up the spirit. I got the boys some books to help them listen and be engaged with conference. In between sessions we snuck out of the condo to go on a little Sunday jont outside. Oh my goodness the sunshine felt amazing.

I feel so grateful for my family and the opportunity we were getting to step away from the mundane things of life to be with them full time. Even Murphy got to come with us. So we were all complete. (Which by the way he was a champ on the drive down).
I love seeing these boys climbing around on the rocks and Murphy just following right behind.

Oct 7-
I spent the whole day shopping for Family Picture outfits, It took way longer than I thought. Especially since I told Jesse just to drop me off. I did a lot of walking between stores and the outlets and the mall. Jesse took the boys off to hike and explore.

Near the end of the day he found me at Buckle and I made him try this outfit on. And I liked how it looked on him. I was sending photos to my sister , Manda (in Oregon) who was helping me decide on how the final over all look would come out.

Gosh he's handsome.
Oct 8-

Our friends Johnny and Tessa were going to California Disneyland and on the way there they made a stop in St George to visit his dad. Well we made arrangements to spend some of the day with them while we were both down in St George at the same time.

We had planned to go hike through Snow Canyon together, but when we got there the Canyon was closed until 2pm for the Senior Games. So we had to adapt and over come our sudden change of plans and we found our way over at Pioneer Park instead. I guess this is where Jesse had taken the boys the day before while I was shopping, but the boys were really excited to show me what I had missed out on.

Johnny and Tessa were a little slower getting there, so we just did our own exploring until they arrived.

This was a total boys world. We spent a few hours climbing around and exploring. I take them on hikes at home and they complain to me "how much longer?"... but put them on a bunch of massive rocks to climb on and explore? They go for miles. It's just moments of pure joy. Every turn they were so excited. I wanted to freeze that moment with them and savor it forever.

This picture makes me laugh because I was trying to get a picture of all the boys and Fynn just turns around and does the "I love you" hand sign. So the rest of them turned around and followed. I think it's a perfect gesture about how they felt about being there.

Brave dudes...
Love this man more than anything. And oh did it feel so good to be alone (ish) with him.



Me and my dudes!
They finally made it. By this point we were really hungry, so we ate our lunch and talked with them in the shade.
We explored this narrow passage for awhile too.
The crevice got more and more narrow the further you got into it. When you got to the other side it brought you out on top of the "mountain" of rock. Eventually they boys were running through it and coming back around to the beginning and having me time them to see how fast they could go through and around.
We decided to go check out the new water park that was built recently. Thunder Junction All Abilities Park. On our drive over there Murphy climbed into Jesse's lap and fell asleep instantly. Man he was pooped from all the exploring he did.

Jesse dropped us off at the park and then took Murphy back to the Condo cuz the park had signs that said NO DOGS.
I didn't get very many pictures here because Johnny was taking so many, but then I never got them from him. So you'll just have to take my word for it when I say that that park was genius and very uniquely designed.

The zip line was a blast for the kids. And take note of the seat Fynn is in. Anyone. Any ablility could ride in it. The swings were the same way.

The kids really had a blast there. I would bet that we spent well into the early evening at this park. There's even a train that gives rides around the whole park. It's not super long, but Fynn enjoyed it.
We said goodbye to Jonny and Tessa and we took the boys back to the condo so I could take Jesse to the yummiest Steak house in St George!

Oct 9-

This was BY FAR the highlight day of our whole trip.  And I am not going to be able to adequately describe how nearly perfect this day was and how much fun we had. We splurged by renting a 4 seater RZR and a 2 seater ATV. The whole family, Murphy included could come along for an 8 hr adventure together. We explored the Sand Hollow area and it did not disappoint.

Jesse drove the RZR...
while I drive the ATV. At one point he let me drive the RZR but I didn't like it as much as the ATV. I was too short and had a hard time seeing over the dash. I needed pedal extenders and a booster seat to make it work for me. haha

The terrain was a mixture of rocks and some crazy sand dune areas. Jesse really liked riding around in the dunes with the RZR. I liked it to, just the ATV didn't handle as well in the sand. But look at this photo of Murphy in the back. He's just loving it.
The Ryker and Cy took turns on the ATV with me. Fynn and Murphy stayed in the RZR. Murphy would get out and run along side of us for awhile but then get tired and want to go back in the RZR with Jesse.
The scenery was so pretty.
Jesse let Ryker have a turn behind the wheel for a little bit.



We made a pit stop for lunch. And did a little exploring.


We all got a chuckle at Murphy being the same color as the rock and sand.
Plus he really was covered in sand.

We thought the first Sand Dune area was cool until we found this spot. Holy moly they were really tall. Jesse was was brave and would drive on the side of them. Oh it freaked me out watching him. Cyrus wanted me to try it and I was not brave enough to. The last thing I wanted was this little ATV to roll over on us.

Actually there was a point that I was getting more  confident on the ATV. I would just go straight up and over the dune. Sometimes when I would get to the top the ATV would get stuck, so I would have to back up down the bottom of the hill and get a better running start.

Well I went straight up one of the big hills going as fast as I could to get up and over. I had Ryker on the back this time. When we got to the top it didn't have a rolling hill top like the rest of them, it actually dropped off pretty sharp on the other side. I had way too much momentum going up and over that when we came over the top the back wheels weren't on the ground. Just the front ones. Ryker was bucked up and landed right behind me. I feared the whole back side was going to go up and over us and we were going to role. I may have said some choice words out of fear for our lives. Thank goodness for gravity and our back wheels finally landed and we were able to get to the bottom of the hill safely. We both were really shaken up. Ryker rebuked me for swearing. Ooops.  I was little more careful the rest of the time we ride around in the sand dunes. The bottom of the hills seems safer to me. haha
Our final stop before we had to head back with the rentals. Those 8 hours went by way too fast. The rocky terrain combined with huge sand dunes amongst the most incredible scenery made for the best day!
It wasn't a very hot day, but I was dumb and didn't put any sunscreen on.
Oct 10-

Our final full day before we had to drive home the next day. Gosh it went by way faster than we thought the week would.

While we were getting ready for the day these 3 boys were doing what they do best... wrestle!
Since we didn't make it to Snow Canyon a few days before we decided to go explore there on our last day.

When we looked up on line if dogs were permitted in the Park. They said they were so we brought Murphy along. Well we soon figured out that they were not aloud to go on any of the trails. Only the paved walk way that went through the whole park. Well that was dumb. So Jesse decided to take Murphy to a doggy day care so we could go and explore Snow Canyon like we wanted to.

While we waited for him we went on a mini hike called Jenny's Canyon.
When we got to the end of the canyon we could hear this weird croaking bird sound. It was kind of freaking the boys out. They would mimic the sound and then the creature would reply back. We figured out it was some kind of bird. But they were laughing that they were talking back and forth with it. I got a video of it. It's pretty funny.
The across the road there is a sandy area that the boys played in until Jesse got back. They gave each other sand showers.

With the help of 2 other kids they buried Cyrus.
After an hour Jesse made his way back. Then we worked our way up to the Lava Tubes. They LOVED this part so much. Like they were on a quest and climbing through right spaces. Little Fynnie didn't love the dark so much, but he still had a smile on his face.
This was the tube that we climbed down into, but getting back out was trickier. Jesse was smart and brought a robe to help hoist Fynn. The video I have of him pulling Fynn up is pretty funny and a little nerve racking. Fynn kinda pushed off and it made it so he was swinging back and forth while Jesse was pulling him up. I thought for sure Fynn was going to hit his head at one point. Kicking his legs like he's trying to run in place. Eventually he made it. At one point said "I crazy". Haha

If you look close you can see all 3 boys in this picture. Cy's head is just barely poking up behind the lava rock.
This is a picture at the end of the lava tube.
We continued our exploring and eventually Cy needed to go to the bathroom. So Jesse took him to go do that while Ryker and I went on exploring. We found this little nook that hid us from the wind and looked out over Snow Canyon. Ryker climbed up higher while Fynn and I just hung out together.

Eventually Jesse and Cy found their way back to us. The day was almost over and we had one more area we wanted to explore before we went and got dinner. This canyon is really cool. The variety fro the back lava rock to the red rock and white rick it really cool to me.


 Snow Canyon truly had our hearts that day! We had the greatest time and a perfect way too wrap up our vacation.

Oct 12- Sterling's Baptism and Aretti's Blessing Day

Jesse had to work that day so I drove up to Logan with the boys by myself for Andrew and Emily's Family's big day.

 These boys sure do love their oldest cousin, Sterling. They could barely keep themselves reverent long enough to get through the production. They were full of excitement to be with each other.
Sweet little Aretti was given a sweet blessing by her daddy, Andrew. I was so bummed that Jesse couldn't be there. He thought that he could take some personal leave to be there, but when he got into work he was immediately sent off to some training.
Gosh these 2 munchkins are so silly together.
The A&E Family's Big Day!
Oct 18- Cross E Ranch

We bought season passes back in the Spring, so we needed to get out to Cross E Ranch and take advantage of it. Unfortunately, Jesse had to work. But I still gotta take the boys and do fun things wit them when we have the chance.
The corn pit was a hit for Fynn.
Jenny and Kelly met me there too with their kiddos.
Always a fun way to spend a fall night!
Oct 19- Last Game of the 2019 Football Season

This year was a year for learning.
Ryker learned...
...that being on the B team is OK.
...that playing his favorite position isn't a big deal.
...that winning isn't everything.
...to be ok with disappointment.
...to play both defense and offense the whole game.
...to keep his head up and a smile on.
... to be a supportive teammate when he injured his shoulder and still went to every practice and every game to cheer from the sidelines.

That night I had a baby shower to go to. A sports themed baby shower. Prizes for those who showed up with a Jersey. So I asked Ryker if I could wear his jersey from last year. And thankfully it fit.

My sister in law, Jessica is married to my brother Tyson. She's expecting her first boy. They have 2 girls already so this is a new change for them Tyson is over the moon excited. He's the only boy of 4 sisters. I remember as a young girl he just wanting a little brother so bad. Well that never happened so now he's getting a little boy instead.
Manda even flew in from Oregon to make it to this shower.
While I was at the grocery store in between games and the shower, Jesse called me and asked if I and the boys wanted to visit the station and cook dinner with them. I couldn't resist. So I had to leave the shower as soon as I could, drive back home to pick up the boys and head down to station 14.

We had the best time cooking spaghetti together.
Then we got a full inspection of the Fire Engine that Jesse was assigned to at the time. Part of being a new hire is he's on probation for a whole year and apprenticeship for 2 years. With the apprenticeship he has quarterly testing on certain subjects. So at that time he was assigned on the Engine to fully study it and take tests about it.
Since it was fresh on his mind he gave us a tour over the whole thing.
The boys loved playing with the microphones too.
I love seeing Jesse in his element. Plus he gave us a full tour of Station 14. It's the newest station in SLC and it's NICE. They spent millions of dollars to make it a zero print station. It has thousands of dollars of art work as well. Each firefighter has their own room with a Jack and Jill Bathroom.

Station 14 is one of the slowest stations. Only 4 guys are staffed there.
Oct 21-
Fynn locking himself in the kennel with Murphy.

Just snugglin' up to him.
Oct 22-
Jesse got the itch to epoxy our Bathroom concrete counterop. It turned out pretty cool minus the fact that some of the epoxy dropped behind the plastic and all down the front white cabinet. Which is still there 2 months later. haha.
Oct 23

Murphy will come and lay at my feet while I'm at the table. He loves being right by us all the time. It makes leaving him at home alone really hard.
Oct 25
Our neighbors and friends Jeff and Jenny Noall are also remodeling their home and yard like we are. They had an excavator over at their house that night setting retaining block for them. I told Fynn about it and he just had to go see the excavator. When we go their the owner of the machine was operating it while Jeff and Jenny were guiding the blocks into place. Fynn was just watching on the side in awe. The operator asked Fynn if he wanted to help him. Oh my heck you would have thought the guy asked Fynn is he watned a million dollars. Fynn was so giddy about it.
Can you see the look on Fynn's face? He was in heaven that night.
Oct 26- Jesse's 39th Birthday!

I collected a few of my favorite photos of Jesse for his birthday.



He is my most favorite, hardworking, good-lookin', dedicated, ambitious, courageous, generous, inventive, philosophical, practical, most reliable, resourceful, witty, Oreo-lovin' man in my life! I love him beyond measure and with every part of my being!
I feel bad but Jesse's birthday wasn't super exciting. That night was the ward Halloween Party that the YM and YW were in charge of. So being in the YW presidency I had to be there. I was in charge of some of the food and getting cases of water. So I asked Jesse to come to Costco with me so he could help me with everything that I needed to get. You know he's a good husband when he is willing to go to Costco on a Saturday that falls on his birthday!

Then I made him dress up for his birthday. 2 of his least favorite things to ever do and I made him do it on his birthday.

We were the Princess Bride this year.


Oct 27-

I recorded the following on that day...

"It's my heavnely angel Harmoni's Birthday today. And to make today even sweeter her son is home from his mission and spoke today. He testified of the growth that came from serving a mission and how losing his mom within the first few months of his mission shaped and molded him. Having her with him all the time in spirit helped him become who is is today. I wept listening to him speak. And afterwards I gave him a tight hug and wanted to hold him forever. It was like I got a hug from Harmoni. Welcome Home Elder Parker Hamby and Happy Birthday Harm. I'm sure she is so proud of her son. I sure am."

That night we went to my parents to celebrate Jesse's birthday and carve pumpkins.



Oct 31- Happy Halloween

The boys had their Halloween Parade at the school that morning. I think Ryker killed it being Inigo Montoya...
...and Cy nailed Wesley!
Fynn wanted to wear is firefighter dress up to his preschool party. Which was fun because nobody really knows what his character is without the rest of the crew together.
The puppy love is mighty powerful stuff.
Jesse was on duty that night so I was on my own with this crew.
Vizzini: "INCONCEIVABLE"
Westly: "Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist."
Inigo Montoya: "I don't think that means that you think it means."

Oh man! I can't get enough of these boys. And I love that they love The Princess Bride movie as much as I do. This year was so much fun for us. I still can't get over how good they all look in their parts of our family costume. I mean Fynn is the cutest "InconceiTable Guy" ever. Cy looks exactly like Westley. and Ryker plays his "Hello my name is Inigo Montoya" role perfectly! If only Jesse didn't have to work that day (and it wasn't 35 degrees outside that night) that night would have been perfect.

The sunset that night was killer as well.

I mean look at that. I couldn't believe how AMAZING the sky was that night.
Grandma Heidi and Grandpa Mike came out to trick or treat with us as well. Which we thoroughly enjoyed.
Another Halloween Year in the books for the Smith Family. We have been doing a family costume theme since 2008 and it's been a fun tradition. I have people ask me how I get my boys to agree to do I family theme every year and I tell them that they love doing it so much. They start asking me months in advance "Mom what are WE going to be for Halloween this year?" They love planning it out together deciding who is going to be who. Its unifying and I'll hang onto it as long as I can.


No comments: