Wednesday, February 8, 2017

And like that... He's 9 years old!

This morning as I was finishing up my morning scripture study, I was thinking about how 9 years ago today Ryker made me a mother for the first time. I was thinking about how much Joy he has brought to me. Experiencing all the firsts with him. Because of him I have grown. And watching him grow up into who he is today is remarkable. He has a heart of gold! He is everything that is good and genuinely wants to do good!

I hear very often from teachers, friends, neighbors, family or anyone that meets him "Man, that Ryker is a good kid. You guys are good parents." I wish I could take all the credit, but honestly he was born that way. This kid is a friend to EVERYONE! And he makes everyone he meets feel so loved! When he could only choose 8 friends for his birthday party it was really hard for him. He said to me "But everyone is my friend."

Oh, I just love that about him!


During our morning shuffle of getting ready for school, I wanted to write Ryker a letter to go into his lunch. I took a picture of it simply for record keeping. It reads...
Ryker-
I hope you are having a great day so far! I just wanted to tell you how much I love you and how proud I am to be your mom. I feel special that I am called "Ryker's Mom" because you are such a good boy! Your heart is a heart of gold and you spread Joy to everyone around you! One of my favorite things about you is how you are a friend to anyone- no matter their age, gender or family. You are a light to those around you and you have the leadership ability that comes so naturally to you! People, friends and family will always look to you as an example of righteousness and goodness! Thank you for being you! Happy Birthday! I Love you
-Mom

I had to work for a little bit today, but was able to be off a little bit early. And I was able to make it to Jesse's Firefighter Presentation for Ryker's Cub Scout activity! Jesse was asked to do it a few weeks ago and I thought it was kinda fun to have it land on Ryker's birthday! Ryker is super proud of his dad being a firefighter!

I know Jesse has given these presentations several times, but I haven't ever been able to see him in action. So I asked him if it would be ok to come take pictures and see him do his thing! He was sweet and let me join in.
Realized later that Ryker blinked when I took this picture, but I thought it was cute to see all the scouts very interested in what Jesse was saying. On occasion they would get side tracked on random topics.
Jesse was so great and gone all the way back up to Ogden this morning to get his gear so he could show the boys.
Sometimes I forget that he really is a firefighter and he gets to experience some pretty amazing situations. As he was going on with his presentation and interacting with the scouts, picturing all the situations he's been in as he's talking about them, I couldn't help but feel very proud of him. Sure its not the best paying job, but it sure comes with a sense of pride. I like to brag about him all the time.

As the hour was drawing near he was asking the scouts if they had any questions. One of the leaders asked him "Who is YOUR hero?"

He sat there a second thinking and his first response was ..."My Dad. Because he's smart, strong and righteous." Then he said Ryker was his hero. Before he could continue he started to get a little teary eyed and said "I look up to him and want to grow up to be just like Ryker."

Before he got too choked up he said something cliché so he wouldn't cry and said "And also Ashley is my hero." Haha.
We got a sitter for Cyrus and Fynn so that we could Jesse and I could take Ryker out. Just One-on-One Birthday Dinner Date. I told Ryker he could choose anywhere he wanted to go eat. He chose Mikado. Haha. It's one of our favorites. So I was happy! When we were driving there he wanted to try the new Tepanyaki tables that they recently put in. So we said Yes!

When dinner was over Ryker said "Thanks Mom and Dad, that was Great!"

You are more than Welcome Ryker Dude. I wish I could give you the world!

Happy Birthday!!!!

No comments: