Sunday, October 9, 2016

I won't lose them

At the start of the school year. Actually let me back up a little bit further. several months ago  I was feeling like I needed to make time for some personal scripture study. Slowly but surely I started to establish the habit. And around the time that school was starting that I had an addition feeling that I needed to do it with the boys. So every morning before we get ready for school. I get up first to do my own personal scripture study for a half hour or so (depending how long it takes me to wake up). I then get ready for the gym and then wake up the boys to ready the Book of Mormon with them until 6:45. 

Some mornings are better than others, but all in all I can tell that it's been truly blessing our family. I have found myself having more patience with them and the power from the book is permeating our (currently messy) home.  

2 weeks ago was the Primary Program in our ward. The Primary Theme this past year has been on the scriptures. So they sang and talked a lot about the scriptures. By the end of the program I felt so spiritually uplifted. The Spirit confirmed to me that my efforts of waking up early every morning to study the Book of Mormon with them was good. My heart was full and I had to fight back the tears. 
Then last week was General Conference. I hadn't ever been this excited about it than ever before. Is it because I had been spiritually feeding myself and my boys? Lets go with that.

I got out these Conference Bingo cards for Ryker and Cy. I gave them large marshmallows to use as markers for every time they heard a word or topic mentioned. And once they got a Bingo, they could eat a marshmallow. I have expected it to work for the first couple of talks. But to my great surprise and pleasure, they sat just like this for the full 2 hour session. BOTH TIMES (Cy did fall asleep the 2nd Sunday session, but that's ok).

I loved hearing Ryker mention to me how much he loved a talk after it was over. Matter of fact that night after coming home from Grandma's house he asked me as we were driving up Val Verda...
 "Mom, is there more Conference tommorrow?"
"No, it's all over."
Sigh from Ryker and expressed that he was sad.
"Why are you sad?"
"Because I really liked it. I was surprised how much I liked it. All the talks were so good."

He went on to share a few of his favorite moments and stories with me. My heart melted. I told him how happy it made me feel to hear him say all of this.

This kid is truly Special. I thank Heavenly Father all the time for blessing me with Ryker. He's meant for greatness and I look forward to seeing where he'll be going in life.
 To share my favorite moment of conference came from Elder K. Brett Nattress. His talk hit me with such conviction that he had me in tears. One of the parts that was answers for me was this...

"When I was a boy, I was my mother’s most difficult young child to raise. I had an overabundance of energy. My mother tells me that her greatest fear was that I would not live to see adulthood. I was just too active.
I remember as a young boy sitting in one particular sacrament meeting with our family. My mother had just received a new set of scriptures. This new set combined the entire standard works into one bound edition, and in the very center was lined paper for note-taking.
During the meeting, I asked if I could hold her scriptures. With the hope of promoting my reverence, she handed them down the pew. As I perused her scriptures, I noticed that she had written a personal goal in the note section. To provide context for her goal, I must tell you that I am the second of six children and my name is Brett. My mother had written, in red, just one goal: “Patience with Brett!”
As further evidence to help you understand the challenge my parents faced in raising our family, let me tell you about our family scripture reading. Each morning, my mother read the Book of Mormon to us during breakfast. During this time, my older brother, Dave, and I would sit quietly but irreverently. To be completely honest, we weren’t listening. We were reading the print on the cereal boxes.
Finally, one morning, I decided to square up with my mother. I exclaimed, “Mom, why are you doing this to us? Why are you reading the Book of Mormon every morning?” I then made a statement that I am embarrassed to admit to. In fact, I can’t believe I actually said it. I told her, “Mom, I am not listening!”
Her loving response was a defining moment in my life. She said, “Son, I was at a meeting where President Marion G. Romney taught about the blessings of scripture reading. During this meeting, I received a promise that if I would read the Book of Mormon to my children every day, I would not lose them.” She then looked me straight in the eyes and, with absolute determination, said, “And I will not lose you!” "
When I heard this I made a promise to myself that I will continue this goal of mine to read to the boys every morning. Because like Elder Natress' mom said to him, I WILL NOT LOSE MY BOYS!!!

The gospel of Jesus Christ is TRUE! I love it and I love these boys.

No comments: