Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Coming Home

Being born on a Thursday Morning, the hospital wanted us to stay the full 48 hours till Saturday. But I just couldn't sit in that hospital bed any longer. And poor Jesse just wasn't sleeping well on that couch bed...do you blame him? So when we got permission to leave on Friday afternoon, we were thrilled. I was feeling really well and Cyrus had passed all his labs and tests, so we really had no reason to stay any longer. And there is nothing better than the comfort of your own home.
Since we have been home almost a week now, things have been going really well. Family, friends and ward members have brought us dinners. Which is much appreciated. There is nothing nicer than a warm meal brought to your door step. I wish I could have that happen all the time. haha

Cyrus had his last bilirubin test taken on Sat (Mar 5) and his circumcision done Mon (Mar 7). Jesse was so dear and he took Cy to both of those appointments. His circumcision went much better than Ryker's did. It's already looking great and healing well. But Ryker's on the other hand wasn't done right the first time. So he was in pain for a couple of weeks. So having a well done circumscion is a major relief for us to and I'm sure if Cyrus knew otherwise he would feel relieved as well.

Cy has been a pretty good sleeper. He has been going about 5 hours in between feedings at night. And 2 1/2- 3 hours during the day. We did find out that when I eat a tuna fish sandwich it makes him be colic. Sunday night from 8pm till 1am he just fussed and cried, unless I was feeding him. But then after I fed him again at 1am he slept clear till 8am. I couldn't believe it. I wonder if crying for that long just made him feel so tired that he slept for 7 hours straight being 3 days old.


Ryker has been a big help with his little brother. He just loves him. Ryker is always saying how cute Cy is. We have to remind him occasionally that he needs to be soft and quiet around Cy, but for the majority of the time Ryker does great with him.
The first time Ryker saw me nursing Cyrus he asked me 'What's that?' and told him 'Milk'. Then he pointed to my other breast and asked 'Does that one have water?'
Bath time at home isn't exactly Cy's favorite time quite yet. It'll be better when he can be submerged in water, but for now sponge baths are the key to keep his umbilical cord dry.
Of coarse Ryker was right there to help Daddy give Cy a bath. Handing Jesse the soap, rubbing Cy's leg to calm him down, and lathering up his belly. After they finished up the bath, Jesse took Cy downstairs to get him dressed and Ryker followed. While they were down there Jesse told me that Ryker grabbed the baby safe Q-tips and was cleaning out Cyrus's ears. Once that was done, Ryker brought in more towels for him. He is just a helpful big brother. He's doing alot better than I thought he would. I didn't expect him to be so into helping and soothing his baby brother. I feel blessed to have 2 wonderful boys.


As for me, I have been feeling really REALLY well. The recover with this birth compared to Ryker's birth is night and day. With Ryker I had a serious episiotomy which for 2 weeks afterwards pretty much put me on my butt. I couldn't do anything. I was living off the pain medication. Versus this time around with no tearing, no stitches, and no episiotomy I feel AWESOME! I have been up and moving around since I came home. I am so grateful to my midwife for caring about my body and not treating me like I am another number.
It really is so wonderful to have a sweet newborn in the home. I had a hard time imagining what it would be like to have 2 boys around, but now that Cyrus is here I can't imagine it any other way. I'm grateful to a wonderful helping husband who is a great dad to his boys. I surrounded by boys and I love it.

7 comments:

Kari said...

You make cute babies, but did anyone ever think you wouldn't? Actually, it can happen... :)

tHe sMiTh SaGa said...

Thanks Kari... You and Matt made a cute kid too. And I'm not just saying that because you just said it to me. I really think that Beck is stinkin cute.

Kels said...

So fun! What a good helper Ryker is!!

Unknown said...

he is so freaking cute! Im so glad everything is going well! you are one lucky and HOT momma!!

masonandtara2 said...

congrats you guys. Cyrus is adorable and we are glad everyone is doing well. AShley...YOU LOOK AMAZING!! Wish we could visit and congrats in person but thanks for letting us share in your wonderful news.

a-hyde said...

Congratulations Ash. Crazy that we both had baby boys a week apart. He looks just like your older son.
Adorable.

Courtney M. Hutchings said...

Hahaha, I love Ryker's little comments... does that one have water...! :D