Saturday, November 12, 2016

Veterens 5k

A few weeks ago the boys came home from school with a paper to get pledges for the upcoming Veterens 5K their school was putting together. The pledges said if they got like $25 in pledges to get a free race entry, $40; Free race entry and Tshirt. $50; Free race entry, Tshirt and Causal Dress day! Then the one who raised the most in each grade got to throw a pie at their teacher. 

Ryker and Cyrus went out 3 nights in a row to get pledges and I was totally shocked how much they got by the end. Ryker ended up with $105 and Cy got $56. And they went out all by themselves through our neighborhood. Door to door. I was so impressed by how brave and confident they were to do that all by themselves. 

So they both got the highest goal. Which they were so excited about. With them having a free race entry I needed to buy a race entry so that I could run it with them. Grandma Heidi wanted to come too, so she bought an entry as well. I was so grateful that she could participate. 

They started the race out with a color guard with the Navy Seals. Super cool. 
Once the race started I loved seeing these Veterans running with the American flag. Felt very patriotic and grateful for our country.
As this event was coming closer Ryker told me that he wanted to run the whole 3 miles. Which he has never done before. He's an active kid and runs alot during his football games. But he's never ran 3 straight miles. But I was confident he could do it and so was he. I love that he has that confidence in himself.

Race started and he and Cy took off. I had to catch up to him. Eventually he slowed down and I told him to keep with me and we could keep the same pace. Cy fell behind but Heidi found him and they ran/walked it together.

There were a few moments during the race that Ryker would speed and and slow down. But I just kept reminding him to stay at the same pace. Near the end he wanted to stop because he felt like he was going to throw up, but I told him we were almost there. That's when he saw the school and he took off. Finishing with a time of 30:25. For his first 5K I was VERY impressed. Not very many adults can run a 10 min paced 5K and finish strong like he did.
I loved being able to run with him. It made me excited for future races together.

No comments: