Sunday, October 5, 2014

Road Tripping Home

Before we hit the road, Jesse and I woke up early to go on a run together. I wanted to be able to get some exercise before we went and sat in a car for 9 hours. Or more. I was glad he was willing to come with me because I am not familiar with Denver and I didn't want to have anything happen to me. So it was nice that I could have the security of him running with me. Our plan was to run out a half hour and then come back. We were thinking we would get about 6 miles in, but we ended up getting 7 miles done. I think mostly because we got a little bit lost on our way back. I was so impressed with Jesse because that was the furthest he has ever ran. Before that he ran 5 miles about 6 months ago. And he did great. We were able to stay together the whole time. It was a very enjoyable run.
 
Once we got back we ate breakfast, packed up our bags, loaded up the car, showered and were ready to hit the road. But before we were to leave we wanted to go say goodbye to everybody. They were all over at Grandma's condo distributing all of her things amongst the kids. Heidi is the executer and is in charge of the whole thing. I know she was worried about it going smoothly so no fights would be started. But from what I saw it looked like they had  a good system going.
 
We were really sad that we couldn't stay the whole weekend. The majority of the family was staying until Sunday. But Jesse and I both had work to get back to for Saturday. So after lots and hugs and goodbyes we hit the road around 10:30am.
 
Jesse decided to we should take I-70 back home because it's a much more beautiful ride. And he was right. The leaves on the trees have started to change with a touch of snow on the tops of the mountains. 
As we were driving, Jesse mentioned he thought it would be nice if we could stop somewhere on the way to break up the drive. No rush to get home. So we decided to stop in Glenwood Springs and visit the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. It's a park that they've built up on top of a mountain. To get up there you have to ride the tram. There are tow caves that you can go on a tour through. So we decided to do that.

The boys really enjoyed the tram ride.
The funnest part about going to this park was reliving the memories of when we were there 6 years ago for a Bohm Family Reunion. Ryker was only 5 months old. I was wishing we could have spent the whole day there and gone on the rides. But we only had time to walk through the caves.







Our pitstop ended up lasting about 3 hours. A lot longer than we had expected, but that's ok. We made a good memory.

As we were finally making our way across the Utah border the sun was starting to set. And we still had about 3 hours before we would make it home. I was getting really tired and feeling bad that Jesse had been driving the whole way. But I didn't trust myself to drive at that point. So he was such a trooper and drove the rest of the way with his sleepy passengers.

We pulled into our driveway around 11:00pm. The boys did really well on the drive. Which is great because in 2 weeks we are driving to San Diego. So this was a nice little warm-up drive for them.

No comments: