Monday, June 23, 2014

Ardura Relay

I had to opportunity to participate in my first bike relay this last Saturday. The race started at Pineview Reservoir and went to Heber City. Covering a total of 160 miles. There were a total of 8 legs to the relay and each leg averaged out to be about 20 miles each. They let you choose between a four man team or a two man team. My cousin Timalee who's idea was to get us four girls together (Sarah Daley, Sue  Bagley, Timalee and me). So she decided it would be cool to do two teams of 2. That way we could have someone to ride with the whole time. So we each got to cover 80 miles.
 
To get ready for it Top Gear Bike Shop let me borrow some demo wheels. They are full carbon and way lighter than your typical wheel. You wouldn't think a wheel would make a difference, but boy oh boy did they ever. Really makes me want to buy a set. 
 Back in Jan when I signed up for this relay, Jesse didn't have to work. So I thought it would be great to have him there in the support car helping along the way. But when his schedule got changed with the new Paramedic position, he then was scheduled to work that day. He tried to get a trade for it but couldn't. He tried to take a vacation day that day, but all the spots were full for that day. So we were out of luck. I was totally bummed. But it's part of having a husband as a fireman.

Anyway, that morning I was packing up my car and when I opened up the door I found this...(picture below). The sweet man bought me flowers and wrote me a note of encouragement that read...

Ashley,
I love you and want to say GOODLUCK and have FUN! Also be Safe. Sorry I can't be there for you on this race. I'll be thinking & praying for you all day. I'm sure you'll be great! I love you and am proud of you.
Love you forever;
Jesse
PS. the flowers are for the finish line but I

It took me by such surprise that I burst into tears.
After pulling myself together and got all my gear loaded up into my car I drove to meet up with the girls. The four of us plus Rolynn and Ryan (Timalee and Sarah's husbands) drove up to Eden.
 
Here is our picture from the Photographer at the starting line. She asked us to give sassy aaaannd... this is what is came out to be. Haha.
 
(Left to right: Me, Timalee, Sarah and Sue) 
 Sue and I were doing legs 1, 3, 5 and 7. So we had to get ready to go as soon as pictures were over. Before count down started the 6 of us offered up a prayer for safety and that our bodies and bikes will perform well. I love that I can be with a group of people that are willing to stand in a circle amongst other people to pray to our Lord.

Then it was time to start. Everyone went off at the same time.
 During this first leg most of the girls stuck together. They didn't have the highest pace, but Sue and I just decided to draft off of them to save our legs. This leg was around Pineview Reservoir so it was farely flat.
 Timalee and Sarah took legs 2, 4, 6 and 8.
 At each exchange point we were to hand off a slap bracelet. So this picture is us exchanging between legs 2 and 3.
Leg 2 was through East Canyon and I had heard that it was a killer of a leg. ALOT of hills and seriously steep. But it turned out not to be so bad. So then I thought that our last two legs wouldn't be as bad. Which they weren't really except for the fact that we had a serious head wind. There were times that I felt like I was going up a steep hill when we were on flat ground. It's crazy how much harder a head wind can make a ride become. Our legs were on fire for the entire time. But I loved the feeling of accomplishment when you get all done.
 
(For the last leg we decided to change our clothes because we were feeling really gross and sweaty.)

When Sue and I finished our last leg, we were able to stretch and get some dinner that the relay crew had provided for us. After an hour or so we rode out about a 1/4 of a mile to wait for Timalee and Sarah to come in so the 4 of us could cross the finish line together.

All of us at the finish line! Yay! What an accomplishment. I had such a blast! I can't wait to do another one! 
 
 
I have to give credit to our amazing support car. Rolynn and Ryan were the Best! Every time we got to an exchange point they would take our bikes from us and make sure the tires had air and all our gears were working properly.
Along our legs they were driving by to take pictures of us, check if we needed water and/or food.
They were the best cheerleaders. As we were going up a tough hill they were telling us we were doing awesome (even though I didn't feel like I was doing awesome). They would make us feel so great!
They were even cheering on the other girls!
Even though we didn't place in this race, we had the best crew, the best time, and the best support car!
All around it was a great day! I loved every moment, even the hard ones.

No comments: