Monday, July 29, 2013

Pioneer Day

Traditionally for Pioneer Day the Smith Family gets together the night before and camps out in the backyard. But this year Tyson, Tayler, Andrew and Jesse all had to work. So Emily and I were the only two that slept over the night before. We both weren't feeling in the mood to set up tents without our hubby's around. It made us chuckle that we were there for the Smith Family get together and the only ones that could come were daughters in law. Goes to show who the devoted ones are. Haha. No I'm kidding. Everyone else is devoted to their jobs and were doing the right thing.
 
Luckily Jesse got off at 8;00am in Ogden and came out to his parents as soon as he got off.I went for a run before he got there and when I got back we all ate breakfast together and then headed over to the pool. Strangely it was very overcast. It's been in the 100's for days and the one day that we were playing at the pool it wasn't sunny. Cy got cold fast, but he didn't care one bit. He kept playing like he wasn't bothered one bit. He's tough because I would have been begging to get out if I was shivering as bad as he was.
 
That kid has no fear. Not afraid to jump in the pool when no one is around. So we decided to put the arm floaties so he would be safe and I thought it would give him more confidence. Surprisingly it did the opposite. Jesse let go of him while he was in the water and he sat there frozen with bug eyes. He didn't like that one bit. He'd prefer to hang onto someone or the side. 
 This last Christmas Mike and Heidi gave Ryker a snorkel set because that summer he was using Mike's adult set. So this summer Ryker has been able to use his own. And he just LOVES it.
 I hadn't seen him snorkel yet and I was shocked at how well he was at it. He is a natural. Watching him swim all over the pool makes me really want to take him to the ocean to actually see some fish.
 I have to soak up EVERY moment I have with this guy. He's doing all that he can to keep his head above water. I see him sacrificing so much right now I wonder how he is doing it.
 After the pool we all went back over to the house for lunch and naps. Jesse was exhausted from his shift and the boys were sleepy from playing so hard at the pool. Once everyone was sleeping I went up on Mom and Dad's deck and read by book for a few hours. Eventually I too fell asleep. it's nice to have those relaxing days every once and awhile.

That night Tyson and Tayler came over for dinner and Emily had to leave for work. After we ate we then did fireworks. The boys were in hog heaven. They just love it.
 Cy kept saying "more-n" every time a firework would be over.
 Kind of a dark picture, but I thought it was cute of Cy sitting on the edge of his seat watching our own firework show.
 It's nothing too exciting but all that matters is that the boys like it.
 Last year aerial fireworks were legalized. So Tyson had a couple that he let off. Kind of fun. Especially when the neighbors are doing the same thing. We get to enjoy their big fireworks too.
Fun mid week holiday. Nothing too exciting but I loved that about this day. Very laid back.

No comments: